Wondering about COVID-19 and trip planning? Please read our message.
X
Box 569 Heriot Bay, British Columbia, Canada V0P 1H0
North America: 1.800.307.3982 | Local & Overseas: 1.250.285.2121


We are here to assist you in any way we can.
North America: 1.800.307.3982
Local & Overseas: 1.250.285.2121
[email protected]



    COVID Update – Public Health Order Announced April 19

    The latest updates on the evolving Public Health situation in BC and how this could affect travel.

    April 20th, 2021

    We have been carefully following the latest announcements by the Province of BC regarding public health, advice, restrictions, and orders. The evolving advice and guidance have raised some questions about what will or will not be permitted come summer. While we don’t have all the answers, here is what we do know.

    We are actually encouraged by the current ‘lock down’ measures (announced April 19th) that are in effect until after the long weekend in May for the province of BC. We are hopeful that this short period of intensified efforts to curb transmission and infection, will keep our communities healthy, provide relief to the health care system and also hopefully will make summer travel possible. That said, we can’t say with any certainty what exactly the summer will look like.

    At this time the current travel restrictions are slated to end well in advance of our departures. We have every intention of operating tours this summer, of course with strict attention to COVID-19 safety and precautions, as long as we are permitted to do so. We are very optimistic that the current restrictions will slow infection rates, vaccinations will catch up and help keep numbers low. As a result, we’re also optimistic that our well-planned, small group, outdoor tours where physical distancing is very easy to do will be able to proceed, giving us all time to recharge our batteries in the outdoors.

    If you are already booked on a trip and considering whether or not to join us for your trip this summer, here are some options as per our terms and conditions:

    • You may transfer your reservations to a later date in 2021 or 2022, depending on availability, at no charge up until 30 days prior to your tour departure (if you have already made your final payment, this will be retained and applied in full to the new tour date).
    • At 60 days prior to your tour, final payments are due (if you defer your tour to a later date, the final payment will be due 60 days prior to the new tour date).
    • If you decide to cancel your tour and request a refund greater than 60 days prior to your tour there is a $150/person administration fee. Closer than 60 days to your tour, please see the terms and conditions which would apply to cancellations.
    • If you purchased Cancel for Any Reason Insurance, we hope this will help manage the uncertainty as we get closer to your tour and after we require final payments. We will provide you with any paperwork required to start your claim.

    We greatly appreciate your understanding that this is a very difficult time for us all. As a small family-run business in our second year of the pandemic, we are also very challenged by the uncertainty while needing to move forward with preparations for the summer kayaking season.

    We have strongly encouraged the purchase of Cancel for Any Reason Insurance for circumstances such as these. It is our hope that the insurance coverage will help you to feel comfortable waiting along with the rest of us to see where Covid takes us all in the next few months.

    We are busy forging ahead here, with virtual staff training having commenced, ordering of supplies in full swing, and materials arriving daily including items and building supplies to help ensure COVID-19 safety and allow for physical distancing in our camps and at our base of operations.

    We are always happy to speak with you any time about any concerns you may have and or walk you through the various options.

    Together we will get through this. In the meantime, please continue to stay safe and well and take care of each other.

    With gratitude for your patience and trust in us,
    Breanne, Rick and the Spirit of the West Team

    Posted in British Columbia + Trip Preparation

    Sign up for our Email Newsletter