Employment With Spirit of the West
Thank you for your interest in working with us at Spirit of the West.
Each season we welcome a few new members to our team. We try to do our hiring early in the season; we start in February and keep hiring until our positions are filled.
We offer a fun and supportive working environment, competitive wages, health benefits for returning staff, annual raises and many perks. We like to think that our staff works with us, not for us.
If you are interested in working with us please see below for details.
For applications to all positions please include:
- A cover letter
- List of certifications (include expiry dates or plans for updating or acquiring certifications)
- Minimum of 2 references
- Why you think you would be a good fit with Spirit of the West
- It never can hurt to call and introduce yourself
Kayak Guiding Positions
For this position we generally require applicants to have at minimum:
- A Level II or Level III sea kayak guide certification from the Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of BC (or equivalent).
- A minimum of an Advanced Wilderness First Aid Certificate and radio operator’s license.
- Passion and skill for natural history interpretation, good safety judgment and inspiring and motivating leadership skills are essential "soft" skills.
- Of course, you will also need to be legally able to work in Canada prior to being hired.
Kayak guides usually work in teams of two or three and can expect to be in the field for 4-7 days at a time. You are responsible for leading rewarding, safe, educational and fun trips for people of many backgrounds and levels of experience. Certification and training is only the beginning, as we expect guides to be strong leaders, great cooks, knowledgeable in natural and cultural history, good teachers and communicators and handy with the typical equipment used on trip. A full job description and manual is provided to all guides prior to beginning work.
These positions are multi-faceted! The Base Crew are the backbone of the organization and keep everything running smoothly. If you have ever wanted to learn about how a kayaking operation works from the inside, then being a member of our Base Crew is the job for you.
Our Base Crew has a wide variety of experience that they bring to our team.
Each season we have the following positions:
This dynamic individual needs to be a big picture thinker. After your training is well under way, this individual is responsible planning, ordering, purchasing and packing all the food for our tours. This person needs to be organized, efficient and hardworking. This position has flexible hours as long as the work is getting done. You are also responsible for overseeing the other kitchen crew and ensuring everyone is working co-operatively to get jobs done.
Assistant to Kitchen Manager
This person is another essential member of our team. This position involves being the right hand person for the kitchen manager. This jobs involves lots of food planning, preparation and packing. The assistant also oversees the other kitchen helpers including the clean up crew.
Clean up Crew
These folks are some of the most appreciated people on earth. They are responsible for cleaning all the gear, dishes, vans, kayaks etc that come back from trips. Combined with keeping our working spaces in good, neat, working order these positions are very important to our operations!
This person oversees the entire big picture. Helping wherever they are needed, duties range from answering phones, to packing food. This person helps to keep things moving and working efficiently for the base crew as well as the guides and field staff. This individual also needs to be handy often repairing bits and pieces that need a little TLC.
Apprentice to Office Manager
This position requires a great deal of organizational ability, great people skills and being computer savvy. Our office crew are the first people guests talk to before their adventures and therefore need to be helpful and courteous. These unsung heroes help to make sure that everyone involved in the kayak trip has the right information, is in the right place at the right time with the right gear - no easy feat!
Tourism Industry Marketing Specialist, Researcher, Advertising and Project Officer
Status: Full-time permanent position (31 hours/week). Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed is essential - marketing in various time zone
Strong asset: Multi-lingual, English/French/German
Minimum Education: Diploma
Start Date: As soon as possible
Job Location: This position will be based on Quadra Island in Heriot Bay BC. This is a small rural community, population 3000. The position will also require the ability to work in a wilderness setting if required.
Consulting and development of tourism products and services:
- Develop/increase European outdoor sport & leisure market (Germany, Austria, Switzerland)
- Develop and manage product marketing, sponsorship, communication & sales promotion strategy and budget
- Assess market research for marketing strategies, cross media and social media campaigns within tourism industry
- Create market research questionnaires (for brand marketing, designing & building new websites)
- Research and analyze data to assess development of target trends and customers (preferences, travel behaviours, buying habits, interests, (eco) tourism trends) for developing website, e-commerce and marketing strategies
- Develop marketing programs/activities to promote products, cross media campaigns and generate new business
- Plan & control cross media advertising (offline & online)
- Responsible for investments in specific target areas (national and international)
- Plan, develop & control projects and co-ordinate communication with existing and future national & international business’ and media partnerships
- Develop SEO & SEA, email marketing and all social media outlets
- Develop & maintain websites (including integrated booking, newsletter and social media system)
- General graphic work including advertising, web design, complete corporate identity, promotions, etc.
- Provide monthly reports showing effectiveness of campaigns and tracking spending
- Support and assist administration & operation management
- Post secondary education required and at least 3 years of demonstrated experience in developing marketing, market research, data analyzing, product marketing, communication, sales, media planning/managing/controlling, SEA/SEO, social media management, graphic and web design
- Demonstrated experience, deep knowledge of the European (German, Austrian, Swiss) and Canadian advertising, outdoor sport & leisure market (offline & online)
- Assist or assume minor projects as deemed necessary
- Ability to be extremely flexible in working hours/days and tasks (working most weekends and often evenings)
- Ability to work in a very busy environment, under high pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability and willingness to relocate to small and isolated island community and work from remote locations as needed
- Ability to accept and internalize feedback and constructive criticism
- Work independently, cooperatively and collectively with all other employees
- Maintain a positive, team oriented atmosphere within the work place and amongst business partners, co-workers, administration and operations staff
- Have a current and valid work permit for Canada
- Have experience in outdoor/ecotourism industry
Medical health supplement up to $500/year for treatments of your choice, access to unlimited professional counseling.
Contact: Breanne Quesnel, Office 1 250 285 2121, Cell 1 250 203 2722, email@example.com
Spirit of the West Adventures, Box 569, Heriot Bay, BC, V0P 1H0, Canada
We are very interested in trading trips for specialized skills and experience. Have you ever wanted to kayak in some of the most beautiful areas on earth alongside some great wildlife? Have a specialized skill or service that you think we may benefit from? Then contact us and make a proposal.
Skills we are often interested in:
- Public Relations
- Media Relations
- Organic Gardening and Landscaping
- Professional Dry waller
- Heavy Vehicle Mechanic
- Someone with experience converting diesel vehicles to veggie oil
- We are open to discussing other possibilities!